Saturday, April 17, 2010

To pearl or not to pearl.

It's a lovely Sunday Autumn afternoon in Adelaide and it's my day off. The weather is mild and some rosella parrots are twittering in my tree outside.


Today I must sort through this parcel of pearls that has arrived from the Great Barrier Reef. I need to decide which of these stunning natural pearls I want to use for an upcoming exhibition in June. I have some grey Tahitian pearls, some Indonesian golden keshi pearls and some champagne pearls from Broome. The more I look at them, the more I realise they are an exhibition in themselves. Pearls evoke memories of sailing trips, the sea and playing on the beach not orchards!


I shall stare at them for a little longer, then I think I may have to go back to the drawing board conceptually. I must decide today on what jewels to accompany my illustrations of birds in the show.

No comments: