Thursday, April 12, 2012

Alibaba's Women's Ambassadorship

What an exhilarating night! The final votes for the Alibaba's Women's Ambassador competition closed and I did exceptionally well! THANK YOU EVERYONE from the bottom of my heart!! What a hoot!! I am really happy!! It is a sign that all of my friends, family and customers have good faith in my business skills and entrepreneurship, which is a huge compliment. I hope the Alibaba Women's Ambassador judges can see the potential in my business plan outline, like those whom know me best do.
Now this week is the judging process and I am certainly in good stead. I really hope I win because this opportunity is exactly what my design business needs- a leg up from Alibaba to propel it to its true capacity. 
If I win I cant wait to go to Hong Kong and meet the Alibaba team. I stayed in China last year (but didn't get the Hong Kong) for 5 months and I cant wait to be there again. I love the country, I love the people, I love the food, I love the potential! 
I am really looking forward to the expert sourcing training. IT WILL BE A DREAM COME TRUE. I am so eager to learn about and sourcing in China and to meet suppliers.  I currently deal with suppliers and manufacturers in Australia, China and Indonesia, whom I found and liaised with myself. It would be so amazing to have Alibaba's expert help to connect me with new and varied businesses. I might even get to talk a little Mandarin with some suppliers which will be fun.
Once aquatinted with new suppliers and makers I will be able to quickly apply my existing manufacturing management skills. I can start placing orders as I have designs for product and packaging ready to go. I would love to have my new stock in shops and online ready for Christmas 2012.
I am hoping Alibaba will be able to help me manifest my dream to own my own jewellery house. I want to source wonderful gemstones, pearls, precious metals, crystal, beads etc suppliers. I hope Alibaba can help me source suppliers of things that I didnt even know I was looking for! I would also love to source some high end jewellery manufacturers and gemstone setters. I have some dealings in Australia but I am optimistic about dealing with China and Asia as I know it is where I want to be. Once business connections are made, all of my jewellery designing skills will come to fruition as I will be able to design fashion ranges like Cartier or Van Cleef and Arpels. 
I have also designed wedding and engagement ring collections which I will get manufactured as soon as I can. Designing contemporary rings and bridesmaids jewellery has been my speciality over the last few years as I worked with many brides and grooms whilst working in a high end jewellery shop.
In China I will also explore manufacturing women's and mens fashion, resort wear, pyjamas, lingerie, swim suits, shoe, bags and home-wear ranges. I am a designer and craftsperson I can apply these design skills to any material and anything. I studied fashion design and costume manufacture in Sydney before I studied jewellery making, and worked for Collette Dinnigan in my early 20's. Another dream of mine is have a whole brand like Muji of my own product designs. With this opportunity it may just happen!
Once ranges are made I will focus on my favourite part which is marketing and promotion.
I am looking forward to the online retailer and Ebay conferences. My new years resolution was to do exactly this- embrace online business with gusto. Just as I pulled my site and webshop down and started redesigning everything, this opportunity came up. It is a sign, it is meant to be!! I would love to learn these things in the next couple of months and then feed them back into my business and the community.
Once I gain all of this knowledge I will be able to share the connections and knowledge with my huge networks of fellow designers and makers in Australia and overseas. I cant wait to be Alibaba's Ambassador and help inspire and connect other people to make their dreams come true.
Thank you soooo much to everyone whom voted for me. I wont forget those of you whom took the two minutes out to vote for me, and I cant wait to help you all in the future with my new knowhow if I win. xx



No comments: