Sunday, April 21, 2013

Toxic Dye Poster- my ethical poster for today!

I made this poster because I am very concerned about the amount of dyes that get pumped into waterways by big fashion houses when manufacturing clothes. The overflow from dying clothes gets disposed of in local waterways in China. The rivers and deltas near the dye factories are completely toxic with all of the fish and animals dead. What a crying shame.
 Dyes, plastics and chemicals are also toxic to the poor people that wear these synthetic clothes too. The science shows that these synthetics cause cancer due to the skin absorbing the particles.
Greenpeace has been lobbying big brands like Zara, Calvin Klein, Adidas, Nike and Tommy Hilfigger asking them to use dye factories that dispose of their toxic waste properly. But at this stage they still havent taken any action. I am so upset and frustrated by this situation but what else can I do.... but make a poster. I hope people consider buying more natural fibres. I know brands at Big W use bamboo fibre that is a renewable source and is virtually undyed. I also know the Japanese brand Muji have known about this for over 20 years and have been producing organic fabrics. One more reason to move to Japan!




No comments: