Saturday, May 08, 2010

I won the China Residency!!! :-)









HOORAY! I won the grant to go to China in September! I am sooooo excited! I am gonna make art! art! art! in China! China! China!!!! For 3 months! I am riding a massive high because I really wanted to go... really really... really.. 
First of all I love travelling, secondly I am a Buddhist and thirdly I am bursting at the seams to make things.



This 8-week artist residency is located in one of the most fascinating and ancient creative centres in China. The Pottery Workshop is an artist’s residential retreat offering artists from diverse cultures and skills the opportunity to interact, learn and create. It is situated on the site of an old National Porcelain Company Sculpture Factory in Jingdezhen China and is surrounded by hundreds of small and independent craftsmen and artists with every kind of ceramic skill; clay producers, throwers, sculptors, mould makers, blue and white decorators, overglaze decorators, glaze and colour shops, kiln firing workshops, brush makers, black smiths, box makers and shippers. What a dream come true...
This residency will stimulate and develop my existing skill base, whilst introducing me to a plethora of ancient Chinese decorative skills through a variety of workshops and lectures. Other participants and I will meet international and local artists/ craftspeople on a daily basis and do workshops with them. This 8 week residency will inspire growth in current practices as artists thrive in a vibrant atmosphere, surrounded by working artists and right in the heart of this fascinating city.

WHEN: 9th Sept- Dec 2010
I wanted to participate in the residency to the Pottery Workshop because the time is right for intensive artistic growth for me. Using my leadership qualities and amalgamating them with my zest for action and spirit of adventure, I believe I will experience inner and outer transformation in my arts practice by going to China. This cultural and artistic immersion will facilitate a journey into my inner world where I will create new ideas, gain insight into unknown fields of knowledge and perpetuate dramatic self experience. The creative wisdom gained here would be the beginning of some promising projects and mark the start of my transition into becoming a full time artist. 
The Workshop offers me an amazing opportunity in so many ways. It would allow me to exist in the art head-space that I enjoy so much. Going to China would infinitely inspire me as I would meet fellow artists, experience Chinese culture, learn new skills and acquire knowledge in a supportive and well resourced environment. I also look forward to meeting the masters and teachers in Jingdezhen, and being given the opportunity to share my own skills and experience in jewellery, ceramics and drawing with my Chinese hosts.
I also intend to do side trips to Beijing, Xian and Shanghai to experience the other Chinese artistic highlights such as the National Arts & Craft Museum, The Great Wall of China and the Terracotta Warriors.
The knowledge and skill acquired in this residency, is something I could not obtain in Australia. The amalgamation of practical contact, observation of masters at work, facilities and inspiration from fellow students will be invaluable nourishment. This learning experience will be vital for my art practice and will allow me to inform and enrich the local and national arts scene back in Australia.
As an Australian citizen I appreciate the incredible influence Asian culture has on our country. Our continent is placed centrally in the Asia-Pacific region which affects our social climate, political and trade concerns, as well as our food and cultural practices. I believe that the more alliances and relationships that Australia can forge with surrounding countries the more understanding and acceptance we can have between us. There is much potential value for all parties involved in liaising with our Asian neighbours and I wish to be a part of this alliance.

Now time to go and celebrate! POP!!!

1 comment:

Lexie said...

Congratulations! Sounds wonderful. I hope it is everything you wish it to be. Have fun exploring and I hope you continue with your blog... nice to read what adventures you are up to :) X