Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Lustre Laneway- China

So being a jeweller living in a ceramics residency in China there are still lots of things that I am learning about in regards to making ceramic projects. Last week we had overglaze and lustre classes which was an amazing technique to learn however my head almost popped with all of the potential projects that could unfold from just this application.

It is probably the closest I will get to a jewelleryish application.

 The very next day I waltzed in to town to buy myself some lustres so that I can practice! This is the corner of "Lustre Laneway". The street is filthy dirty and there is no pavement or road... just piles of rubbish that you have to climb over. Rosters and dogs scratch throught he debris. I dont understand how such a pretty art medium that makes such wonderful things can come from this laneway that is akin to hell on earth.



These are the palettes of lustres that I could choose from. Of course I bought almost ALL of them. Lets see how well I go getting back into Australia with tiny little bags of coloured powders.



Bottles of gold and platinum lustre. Highly volatile. Completely toxic. Ridiculously expensive. Undeniably sexy. I WANT.


A higgilty pigglty collection of who knows what in the lustre shop.





No comments: